Social Development and Emotional Development Domain
This domain addresses developing a sense of self, developing relationships with peers and adults, and learning to self-regulate and express emotions appropriately.
Support Social Development and Emotional Development goals by choosing books:
- with pictures of babies, children, adults
- that show relationships with peers, adults, family, friends, grandparents, parents, etc. or make your own book using family photos
- that focus on self-expressions and self-regulations: how they are feeling, how they are working through feelings, and controlling emotions
- that focus on individual emotions and how the characters work through them: anger, sadness, fear, jealousy, happiness, and excitement, etc.
- about social actions: how to act in school, how to act in a library or grocery store, etc.
- about empathy, kindness, love, friendship
- about self-help skills: potty training, getting dressed, buttoning, zipping, eating, cleaning up, etc.
- about new settings, such as preschool and kindergarten, and responsibilities in those settings