The Core Ideas of the Kindergarten standards include:
- Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes
- Earth's Systems
- Earth and Human Activity
South Dakota's Science Standards are divided by Physical Science, Life Science, and Earth and Space Science and fall under the Core Ideas above. Several of these standards are closely connected and can be addressed by a single activity or task. Below is the Standard codes for ELA. K = Kindergarten
- (K-PS) Physical Science: Pushes, pulls, strengths, directions, speeds and sunlight effects on earth
- (K-LS) Life Science: Plants, animals and humans need for food and water for growth
- (K-ESS): Earth and Space Science: Patterns of weather. Plant, animals, and humans need for survival and relation to habitats. Purpose of weather forecasting. People making choices to reduce impacts of environment.
The following activities revolve around the SD Kindergarten Science content standards but also include other Kindergarten standards as well as the SD Early Learning Guideline and the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework domain goals. These activities are based on kindergarten-level development and can be used to support preparing your child for kindergarten. Keep in mind that all children are unique in their development and progress at different rates.