South Dakota's Mathematics Standards are divided by Counting and Cardinality, Operations and Algebraic Thinking, Numbers and Operations by Ten, Measurement and Data, and Geometry. Several of these standards are closely connected and can be addressed by a single activity or task. Below is the Standard codes for Math. K = Kindergarten
- (K.CC) Counting and Cardinality: Number names, counting sequence, count to tell number of objects, compare numbers
- (K.OA) Operations and Algebraic Thinking: Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and subtraction as taking apart and taking from
- (K.NBT) Numbers and Operations by Ten: Working with numbers 11-19 for place value
- (K.MD) Measurement and Data: Describe and compare attributes, classify and count objects, work with time and money
- (K.G.) Geometry: Identify and describe shapes, analyze, compare, create and compose shapes
The following activities revolve around the SD Kindergarten Mathematics content standards but also include other Kindergarten standards as well as the SD Early Learning Guideline and the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework domain goals. These activities are based on kindergarten-level development and can be used to support preparing your child for kindergarten. Keep in mind that all children are unique in their development and progress at different rates.